I’ll show you how I season a new cast iron wok at home.
Most new cast iron cookware will come pre-seasoned from the factory. But you will need to season it more before you get good cooking results with it.
- Wash your new cast iron cookware with warm water and soap and dry thoroughly. This should be the first and last time soap is applied to your cast iron cookware.
- Heat the wok over high heat for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and let cool a bit.
- Add oil or lard, I use coconut oil, and spread it evenly inside and out.
- Place it upside down and let it cool completely.
- Do this same process 2-3 times. I waited 24 hours between each cycle.
For the final seasoning, once the wok is hot, add oil with sliced onions and fry them until they turn brown and spread them all over the wok.
- Discard the onion. Once cooled, wash the wok with lukewarm water and dry it thoroughly.
- Once the above process is complete, your pan is ready to use.
You will notice that the oil will continue to settle on the cast iron and soon you will have a nice smooth non-stick coating.
Cast iron should be thoroughly cleaned and dried after firing. Use only lukewarm water without dish soap. You need to remove any remaining acids from the food or it will strip your non-stick coating and you will have to re-season your cast iron. Also, any water left on the cast iron will cause it to rust. So be sure to wash, wipe and dry it well, then season it with your oil of choice and set it aside until you cook with it again.
I This recipe is also available on NewsBreak Video. My video channel is called “Sofia’s Passion for Cooking”. Please follow me on both for more tasty and easy recipes. Thank you